Just registered to the site

discussions specific to the 907IE
Fvee3
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Just registered to the site

Post by Fvee3 »

Hi everyone. I just purchased a 1992 907ie that I thought was well sorted out. Owner went through the engine replaced cracked case, new belts ,Samco hoses all new brake lines new Barnett clutch and new tires. I picked it up a week ago road home seamed fine ran well. It’s been cold so hadn’t gotten to ride it until today started fine left home got about 2 mile and felt the clutch start slipping. Any quick throttle and rpm went up with no power to the ground. Turned for home then throttle seamed to be sticking and not throttling down. Got home pulled the plastic to see if the cable was pinched from the reassembled. Looked ok so I thought to start it and try to see a problem, no start relay coming on starter not turning. Guess I just bought a project bike. :wacko:
1992 Ducati 907ie Yellow
2018 Yamaha Eluder GT Silver
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Just registered to the site

Post by englishstiv »

Welcome to the site.
Sorry to hear your woes
As an old fart on here I always say to newbies start by searching our massive library of facts and fixes we have all been there.
If it helps re the starter just double check on the plug linked to the solenoid attached to the frame as its famous for coming loose and will stop your starter and is easily dislodged and missed when removing panels
re the throttle cable double check the splitter box just in case the cable has jumped out, Also make sure its not slipping out the sleeve on the throttle grip inside.
Clutch wise check your plates if its possibly been standing a while it might be a few glazed surfaces or if as you say its been somewhat rebuilt then check the plates are in correct order and the correct number and size.

I have no doubt there will be other answers and suggestions to follow good luck and look out for the normal welcome about Ducati and the making of Mechanics ....... If you aren't one you will be soon enough and you'll have a wonderful apprenticeship getting there.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Fvee3

Post by Fvee3 »

Thanks for the reply englishstiv . I checked the solenoid and it was energizing so the starter was turning. I jumped directly to the starter still not turning. I took the started out bench tested with jumpers it turns. Figured it’s easy enough to remove and replace so I bolted it in and it turned the engine over. Thinking the starter is probably on the way out. I haven’t pulled the clutch plates out but did pull the slave and found that the piston was very hard to push back into the cylinder. Could the slave not be fully releasing making the clutch slip? Haven’t getting to the throttle yet. The engine does sound great just need to sort these issues.
1992 Ducati 907ie Yellow
Crumpati
year: 1993

Post by Crumpati »

two miles from start up, the throttle issue could be the rad hose expanding and causing the linkage not to fully return. I rebuilt the clutch slave on mine not long ago, dont remember there being any difficulty with the piston?
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Starter motor most probably just worn brushes, not too hard to fix. And cheap.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
Fvee3

Post by Fvee3 »

Here’s the latest on my issues. I removed the clutch pack it is all new Barnett as the previous owner stated saw no issues there. Pushed out the clutch slave piston the cylinder walls were very discolored. Cleaned it out as best as I could reassembled and it worked for a few pulls then wasn’t engaging causing clutch slip. Bought a new slave and all is good. Previous owner put all new Samco hoses they didn’t seam to interfere with the throttle so I shot some throttle cable lube into the cable and it’s working. Rode around the neighborhood for 10 minutes testing and probably annoying the neighbors. So for now all is well.
1992 Ducati 907ie Yellow
Fvee3

Post by Fvee3 »

So much knowledge and insight on this site. I’ve started gathering bit to do the Polaris filler neck mod and the relay for the ignition. Waiting for a volt meter before I go to far from home with the bike. I had a 1995 916 that left me stranded many miles from home because of charging issues. I’m getting too old for that action.
1992 Ducati 907ie Yellow
Fvee3

Post by Fvee3 »

Got the voltmeter installed and eliminated the pressurized plastic coolant bottle. I also put the ignition on a relay and cleaned the oxidation off the cans. It’s coming along. I’ve only ridden 5 or 10 miles a few time around the neighborhood and it runs well. Maybe get out on the weekend for longer shake down ride.
1992 Ducati 907ie Yellow
Fvee3

Post by Fvee3 »

D195DEF4-E9FA-467B-B1CA-9B1368149DB9.jpeg
D195DEF4-E9FA-467B-B1CA-9B1368149DB9.jpeg (150.4 KiB) Viewed 6977 times
1992 Ducati 907ie Yellow
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

A stuck clutch piston and the throttle cable issues could mean the bike was parked for a longer period of time. I had a couple of P750 and 906 clutch covers in the past with a seized piston. If the clutch remains unused for a long time and also the brake fluid isn't changed every couple of years the piston will start to rust. With the crystalline residue old brake fluid builds up it will slowly lock the piston in place. If the bike is stored, once in a while one should pull the clutch lever.