Making a good thing better...

discussions specific to the 907IE
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Making a good thing better...

Post by 907pasonut »

My 907 has been off the road now for almost 2yrs, about 12mth ago I replaced the original brake lines with Hel braided lines front and back, I also removed the exhaust system and sent the headers to Jet Hot in Castlemaine to get ceramic coated, this coating is good for 704 deg C. while I was at it I also polished the exhaust cans...then work got busy during spring/summer, so the bike sat in the shed as I had to earn some money :(

but the bike was not totally forgotten...as the cold weather arrived I had time to fit new front and back sprokets and a new DID520ZVM-X gold chain with rivet link.

A while back I had purchased some adjustable cam pulleys but decided to let the experts install them, so I loaded the 907 on a trailer and took it to Brad "The Bike Boy" in Oakleigh (just down the road) I still didnt ride it, but the bike seems to Idle a lot better, even down to 800rpm.

Just recently I did the quiet clutch conversion using one extra friction plate with bent tabs (Mc tool's method) and very happy with it, now you ear more exhaust note and less clatter noise, makes the bike sound much better overall.

I had done the Honda 750 radiator cap conversion back in '10, but had it had a niggling water leak from the overflow and couldnt fix it (faulty cap) so off it came and I reverted the cooling system to original.
...this computer is too slow, I might jump on the other and see if I can upload some pics :beer:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Re: Making a good thing better...

Post by 907pasonut »

the headers had gone dark soon after the FBF stage1 chip was installed, going by the air/fuel measurements during dyno run, at WOT it varied between 14 and 15% and at cruising 13.7% my aim is to have it between 12 and 12.5%, recently I fitted the FIM chip back on as I believe it will give a richer mixture.

this is what they looked like after Jet Hot's stirling silver finish and installed.

Last edited by 907pasonut on Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

Brad the bike boy

the installed adjustable cam pulleys

Last edited by 907pasonut on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

Here is a link to the sound clip of my 907 with the quiet clutch modification
https://www.box.com/s/0r2kg0p0e5urpdxl6eps

I'm not sure if it will work :dunno:
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

it does :thumbup:
ducbertus
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by ducbertus »

Hi Claude,

congrats with your bike. :thumbup: very, very nice one.
the Silver finish of the header looks great. is it corrosion resistant? expierences?
When I look at mine 907 at the moment I'm happy she wears her dress :-(
there are a lot goodies laying around, but somehow she has the lowest priority. she runs and that is the most important for me at the moment.

Cheers, Bertus
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Looks good Claude , specially those headers . I am waiting for my adjustable cam sprockets to arrive from Brad ( I changed my mind about the offset keys and Brad was happy to have them returned in part exchange for a set of sprockets ....... I gotta say he has provided great service :thumbup: , Thanks Brad ) The bug has bitten bad ..... I have ordered a Kent Cams adjustable sprocket for the car too . :) ......
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

ducbertus wrote:Hi Claude,

congrats with your bike. :thumbup: very, very nice one.
the Silver finish of the header looks great. is it corrosion resistant? expierences?

Cheers, Bertus
thanks Bertus, Jet Hot coat inside and out, as far as I know ceramic is resistant to almost everything except excessive heat (you don't want the motor to run lean) and you got to be careful not to scratch it with other hard surfaces...but time will tell how good this product is.
Mc tool wrote:Looks good Claude , specially those headers . I am waiting for my adjustable cam sprockets to arrive from Brad ( I changed my mind about the offset keys and Brad was happy to have them returned in part exchange for a set of sprockets ....... I gotta say he has provided great service :thumbup: , Thanks Brad ) The bug has bitten bad ..... I have ordered a Kent Cams adjustable sprocket for the car too . :) ......
good one Hamish...what a bunch of motor-heads :thumbup: you can't go wrong with the adjustable pulleys, I got them for the 851 as well, are you going to fit them yourself?
I took the bike for a little spin around the block and the clutch was grabbing making it hard to change gears...who's idea was it to bend the fu@#ing tabs? :D
I dismanted the clutch again and swapped extra friction plate with straight plate, now quiet clutch and easy shift :thumbup:
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

whatever you do don't bend the tabs ..... makes your clutch grab :lol: :lol: :lol: , It does take a bit of pissing round to get that quiet clutch right , if the clutch is grabby you probly have a bit much bend on the tabs . What I eventually did was to deliberately put to much bend on them , assemble the clutch and then tap around the edge of the pressure plate with a rubber hammer untill the tabs wouldn't straighten out any more , this leaves the 1st steel plate sitting firmly against the flange at the back of the clutch hub . Every clutch is different and the idea of bending the tabs was .... well some clutches need 2 extra friction plates and some only need 1 to get the right thickness .... mine ( some what predictably ) needed 1 & 1/2 extra friction plates..... so I bent the tabs :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

well, finally...the last bits, a vented clutch cover, new pressure plate, took it for a spin around the block and the gear changes are good, the motor seems to go better now with the old chip...now I have to get a roadworthy...Brad!! if you can spare a few minutes :thumbup:

I also fitted Ti bolts on the brake calipers, they don't look too bad

Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
davo

Post by davo »

Hi Claude, your 907ie looks great.

Tell me, did you arrange for your brake bolts to be re-cadmium plated or did you buy them already like it?

What did you use to clean the brake calipers?
And remember: ride hard, take chances!
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Looks great, Claude! :thumbup:

Is the seat modded?
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

davo wrote:Hi Claude, your 907ie looks great.

Tell me, did you arrange for your brake bolts to be re-cadmium plated or did you buy them already like it?

What did you use to clean the brake calipers?
Hi davo, the Ti bolts are from probolt, they have different finishes, gold, blue, titanium etc, not cheap but they will last, I added tefgel on the thread to minimize corrosion between different metals.
I cleaned the R/H caliper with petrol...be careful not to get it on the seals, use a toothbrush, I haven't done the other one yet.
Tamburinifan wrote:Looks great, Claude! :thumbup:

Is the seat modded?
Hi Gert, the seat has been reupholstered by cumfy motorcycle seats in Melbourne about 2yrs ago
Last edited by 907pasonut on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
du907

Post by du907 »

pasonut

In the picture of the adjustable cam pulley, what is the copper pipe coil tube, on the right, going into the air box?
Never seen that before.
du907
Projectman
model: other
year: 1986

Post by Projectman »

du907 wrote:pasonut

In the picture of the adjustable cam pulley, what is the copper pipe coil tube, on the right, going into the air box?
Never seen that before.
du907
I noticed that too. It looks like the filter that you find at the back of fridges and freezers, so perhaps it is something to do with additional cooling assistance for the Australian climate.