stariting procedure w/36mm dellortos?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

paisano
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

stariting procedure w/36mm dellortos?

Post by paisano »

for those of you with 36mm dellortos, what starting procedure do you use?
Maico88
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: stariting procedure w/36mm dellortos?

Post by Maico88 »

I have a 750 Sport with 36mm dellortos. Starting procedure is nothing special. Cold engine hit starter without choke. If it doesn't start immediately (usually does except in winter) small amount of choke. In winter (less than 40 fahrenheit) half choke. I have a bar mount choke cable that runs to both carbs. The bike always starts very quickly. Hope this helps.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

Full choke when cold, no choke when hot. Press starter. Mine starts within one second, on the first turn of the motor.

Are you having trouble?
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

I noticed on my Paso that while it needed a bit of choke to start in winter it didn't like full choke , The paso choke lever on the ( L H handle bar ) has a half choke notch and a full choke notch . I set the lever to full and then adjusted ( mucked about for ages :) ) the cable to give a bit less than full choke ( and I guess every bike / climate will require a slightly different setting ). Start the bike on the (not quite) full choke , once going I then set the choke lever to the half setting to get a good fast ish idle allowing the bike to warm up while I got helmit & gloves ect on . I actually wound up filing another "notch " in the choke lever so this "sweet spot" could be quickly found. Ha and now that I've blithered on I've realised you probly don't have a cable/lever choke with the dels :| :lol: :lol:
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Danielmc
model: 750 Sport

Post by Danielmc »

I have got the chokes on my Dell'Orto 36 carbs connected to the handlebar lever. The bike never needs more than half - and I suspect this is because the original Weber choke had a much greater range movement, whereas the Dell's go on to full choke with a much smaller cable movement.

Mostly I don't bother with the choke, and just give the bike a couple of squirts on the throttle.
paisano

Post by paisano »

No choke cable on mine.
I never attempt to fire it up below about 75f.
I bought it from a guy in SoCal and it is jetted for sea level. He gave me some convoluted starting procedure that included turning it on and letting the fuel pump for at least a minute(!) and then pumping the throttle two full turns before starting.
I've got it at about 5000' elevation right now (while I've been registering it, installing new tires and giving it some regular maintenance) and I can't say it starts particularly easily and is of course running rich. Takes forever to warm up!
I'll be hauling it soon back to the coast in S. Texas, we'll see how it runs then... thanks for the replies - Jimmy
randtcastell

Post by randtcastell »

I've got 40mm Dels on my Paso. (large I know, but heads have been flowed) and I've got choke cables. Choke on when cold, off when warm. Ignition on, press starter button whilst twisting throttle simultaneously and she fires on first revolution of the starter motor. Warms up in and will idle after about a minute when cold. By cold I mean Bay Area cold—35-55° F. I keep the Paso on a battery tender and she sleeps indoors. Good Luck!
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
whitepaso
year: 1988

Post by whitepaso »

For me, same as Skins and Danielmc. My Dels have the choke cables up to the handlebar also.
dave906
model: 906 Paso

Post by dave906 »

On the 906 with Del Ortos I'd always put on about 1/2 choke, then give the throttle one quick twist to pop a squirt of fuel into the inlet tracts from the accelerator pumps, then push the starter button and roll on the throttle slightly as it catches. Always a reliable start. Then tweak the choke a bit to let it idle happily for a few minutes.