Monster 600 carbs on a P750?

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

pasoist
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Monster 600 carbs on a P750?

Post by pasoist »

For starters my Paso is already equipped with 2 dell´orto carburetors with original paso intakes (I think?)
the carbs are anyway installed in opposite directions, the other one facing front and the other one facing back.

Now I would have the possibility to purchase a pair of intake manifolds an carbs from a wrecked monster 600, I was just wondering would them work on a 750 Paso? will there be issues? I don´t remember the size of my current carbs, but I assume the monster carbs are 38mm mikunis.

of course I could have just googled it, but I happen to like this forum and also thought that someone might be interested... :)

what I really want to know is if it´s a bolt-on type of thing or not and is there a difference with the intake manifolds between a 600 and a 750?
Last edited by pasoist on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Monster 600 carbs on a P750?

Post by Mc tool »

I have thought of the same thing with 900ss carbs/ manifolds . ( 38mm mikuni ). The problem is that these carbs sit quite high and there is no real way to use the standard air box ( which you probly dont have anyhow ) which means you have to get real sneaky about how you get some filters on them . Personally , if I had dels already fitted I wouldn't be arsing about to fit mikuni's. To some people having the carbs poking out at opposite directions looks and seems all wrong but to a ducatisti its just plain right. If I had a 750 paso with no carbs and had the choice of either del's or mikuni's .... Id have the del's any day, save yourself some bother :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
pasoist

Post by pasoist »

well there´s another reason for me to ask this to be honest.

I´ve got my eyes on a S750 with the original weber and if I do purchase it I might be wanting to do conversion for it.

since I don´t have any experience with the weber I might expect difficulties with it. after all, why would people do conversions away from the W if it worked like a charm
Fraser
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Hamish,

The 900ss carbs/minifolds are a straight bolt on, except you need to use pod type filters as the original air box does not work. The Uniflow type pods go straight on and it all works a treat. Had that arrangement for over 6 years now and no problems. However, one of the reasons for using Mikunis was that it formed part of another deal that was underway (to do with some indicator assemblies).

Cheers,

Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport

Post by ducinthebay »

pasoist wrote:I´ve got my eyes on a S750 with the original weber and if I do purchase it I might be wanting to do conversion for it.

since I don´t have any experience with the weber I might expect difficulties with it. after all, why would people do conversions away from the W if it worked like a charm
If you read some of the posts about the Weber, there have been a lot of discoveries, and many have gotten the Weber to work rather well. Filing down the pump cam and get the right jetting and inlet pressure and your good. Keeping the stock airbox is big plus. Certainly a lot less work than switching to different carbs and getting them all dialed in. But that's my opinion.

As for the S750, I am assuming you are talking about a 750 Sport? How does it run right now?

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

pasoist wrote:well there´s another reason for me to ask this to be honest.

I´ve got my eyes on a S750 with the original weber and if I do purchase it I might be wanting to do conversion for it.

I like the way you think
I wouldnt be to quick to right off the weber. Those here that have put the time into tweeking their weber certainly seem to be happy with their results.
I like the weber , and I would never deny its shortcommings. Its like managing some type of motorcycle autism/ADHD and I get some perverse pleasure out of stayin in control ,( ahh yes ! the old backfire & stall in the middle of a slow U turn)..... ya get used to it , but it is a pain in the arse
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
pasoist

Post by pasoist »

ducinthebay wrote:As for the S750, I am assuming you are talking about a 750 Sport? How does it run right now?

Cheers, Phil
Haven´t tried it yet, I only saw the add on a local "motorcycles for sale" type of webpage.

Since I got my Paso up and running with new tires last year it seems like a good time for a new project. The bike itself is a 1990 750 Sport, the rear wheel has been converted to 17" (original 16" wheel is included) and it seems to be in good condition for what I can look from the few pictures. Mileage is pretty reasonable for a bike that´s +20 years old (57000 km´s).

Been thinking about calling up the seller and asking a little more details.

I guess that enginewise the same things apply to the sport that for the Paso? (I guess my further questions should be posted on the 750 Sport forum anyways)
pasoist

Post by pasoist »

went and bought the carbs+manifolds anyway, not sure if I ever will need them, but it´s nice to have options...

Oh yeah, I kinda came to an agreement with the guy selling the Sport. So pretty soon I will be having two ducatis in my stable...
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

good to see another Sport on these pages.
Keep us posted on what you experience when you get it.
Yes, same engine and carb in the Sport as the Paso, except for a few odd differences. Some magazine articles of the day said the Sport ran better than the Paso, but I can't figure out why.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Andrew2
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Andrew2 »

ducinthebay wrote: Some magazine articles of the day said the Sport ran better than the Paso, but I can't figure out why.

Cheers, Phil
Phil,I believe it was because of better cooling air flow due to a less enveloping fairing.

Cheers
Andrew