New to Me Paso

discussions specific to the 907IE
Fast Eddie
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

New to Me Paso

Post by Fast Eddie »

Hi all. I just bought a new to me 1993 907IE. Its a great bike with many extras including a custom paint job. The main reason I bought it is because an old riding buddie used to own the bike and he was killed in a train accident 2 years ago. I/we miss him dearly and now I have a part of him in the garage.

There is one issue though. It starts fine and runs for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden it stalls. Turn the key off and on and it starts right up and runs fine. Then, on occasions it feels like its running on one cylinder. Again, turn the key off and on and then it runs fine again. The fuel filter has been replaced so I'm thinking either the fuel pump or maybe the coil. Any ideas?
Ed
'93 Ducati 907ie, '01 Ducati ST4, '07 Honda ST1300A
Projectman
model: other
year: 1986

Re: New to Me Paso

Post by Projectman »

Hello Ed, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new purchase :thumbup: , despite its sad provenance.

I'm new to the Paso 907ie myself, but I have recently sorted out the fuel pump. The pump is held in the bottom of the tank by a plastic mount, which clips in. If you are a home mechanic (or better) you'll find it relatively easy to remove. Obviously, you'll need to take the appropriate precautions when dealing with with petrol !
If you have the original fuel pump, you should find that it has a plastic/mesh fuel sieve fitted onto the end of it. Mine had started to disintegrate/collapse, which may be your problem. I've had to replace the whole pump anyway. If the pump needs replacing, Ducati don't stock it now, but there are some after market alternatives.
All the manuals etc that you need are accessible from the home page on this site, plus there's people here, who have a ton of knowledge, who can advise you.
Good luck.

P Man.
Fast Eddie
year: 1993

Post by Fast Eddie »

Thanks for the help P Man. I thought it might be the fuel pump since it felt like a fuel shortage at times.
Ed
'93 Ducati 907ie, '01 Ducati ST4, '07 Honda ST1300A
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

Your 10 minute till stalling syndrome can be caused by several things.
Fuel starvation is most likely, especially if it runs on one cylinder before dying.
- Check the fuel filter as mentioned. if the bike has been sitting, it is very likely.
- check the tank vents. if they are blocked, you will create a vacuum in the tank. I had this problem.
In general, just replace all the hoses and use hose for fuel injection and clamps for a fuel injection system. the bike is probably due for new rubber anyway.

After that, it could be the coils. They do age, and they fail when they get hot. You might find a shop that still has a bench tester that can run them for 15 minutes to see if they continue to work properly. Aftermarket Dyna coils are big improvement regardless.

Cheers,
Last edited by ducinthebay on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
du907
year: 1992

Post by du907 »

Check your fuel injection relay. A weak relay tends to work when they are "re-energized" after cutting off the switch and back on. If they are going bad the coil in the relay becomes weak and after a period of time they lose they're grip and the connection is lost. They are located behind the left side mirror on the alum. plate under the body work. They are the relays with the fuse in them. Also check the plug going into the ECU under the seat. Make sure it is in all the way and the metal tang/clip is engaged. I use a plastic zip tie to make sure it doesn't come loose.
du907
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by 907pasonut »

nice bike Fast Eddie, sorry about your friend...train accident? you never know when your number comes up! I had a similar problem on my 907, changed the fuel filter now runs like a dream.
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress