Go West young(???) man.

discussions specific to the 907IE
Jaffa
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Go West young(???) man.

Post by Jaffa »

Well, two weeks in Sydney have seen me prepare the girl as best I can for the next 4,000kms. I leave tomorrow for a quick squirt to Canberra about 3 hours, a day there for a mates birthday, then west.

New front tyre, drive flange, pins and spacer. (It turns out the last person to put new chain and sprockets didnt replace the spacer onto the axle, causing the sprocket nuts to come into contact with the swing-arm also stressing the drive pins, causing 4 of the six to shear. Something to keep in mind perhaps.)

Motor is still running smoothly. She remains well balanced and I think ( :wacko: ), no, know she will make the distance.

Adelaide is a further 1,000kms for an over nighter after Canberra, then the Nullabor and Western Australia.

If you never hear from me again....we havent made it...... :thumbup:

Laddie, thanks for the support and encouragement.

Wish me luck. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
Jaffa
'91 907ie (RED)
'78 900 Darmah (RED) (now BLACK and lookin' goooooood)
'82 900 Mike Hailwood Replica
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Go West young(???) man.

Post by paso750 »

the spacer does not need replacement usually, it was probably mounted the wrong way around. It has a conical shape and the larger side should show towards the swingarm. If you put it the other way around the spacer will touch the inner and outer side of the wheel bearing causing the spacer to spin with the wheel and moving the rear wheel so the sprocket bolts touch the swingarm.
I hope you still can check or that it is the right way around if you are already on your way.
Have a good trip !

G.
Kurt
year: 1992

Post by Kurt »

Have a great ride!

And ride with confidence with your rear wheel sorted out. Back in '92 when I bought my first 907 new, that summer I made a trip from Boston to the eastern end of Quebec, a fabulous area, La Gaspesie (see http://tinyurl.com/54wt96). Anyway, on the way back, in the rain, on the Maine Turnpike, I didn't notice that the sprocket carrier was drifting out of the hub and the sprocket nuts/studs were machining a neat groove in the swingarm. Noticed when I got home. The dealer replaced the swing arm under warranty, but I have to say the experience severely eroded my confidence in Ducati! (And led me to trade the bike three years later for a Triumph Daytona 1200.)
Last edited by Kurt on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Kurt
Jaffa

Post by Jaffa »

Thanks guys,

With regard to the spacer....it wasnt round the wrong way...it just wasnt there...the machanic didnt put the damned thing back in at all.

Still, its sorted now...

Will keep you posted as I go.

regards
Jaffa
'91 907ie (RED)

Post by Laddie907 »

I'm green with envy...at you tackling the Nullabor on a 907ie.

I have done some long trips and some lonely miles (like Tennant Ck to Alice Springs) but would love to experience the Nullabor.

do me a favor - at some time while you're in the middle of nowhere...stop the bike and get off..just listen to the engine tinkle - the only sound that breaks the silence.
When you get back on, turn the key...wait for the fuel pump to prime, then pause a few seconds before hitting the starter...and think of this:

I did this once somewhere between Mt Isa and Cloncurry - the starter motor didn't even click.
My heart was in my throat for a second; I hit it again and the engine burst into life...

I think you can only experience that once without having a heart-attack...

best of luck Jaffa...watch out for the wild life!!!
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

What it must be like to have a long open road ahead of me over here it's either cars more cars or lorries everywhere you go and if it's a quite stretch of road then with out fail somewhere along it will be a copper hiding in a horse box waiting to take your picture or a spotter plane telling the local lads that another addition to the Christmas bonus is coming there way.

I envy you like buggery mate - enjoy :beer:
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Ducati Streetfighter 955 V2
tewsy

Post by tewsy »

laddie would that have been at the fountain springs rest area halfway between the isa and the curry? if you head west from there you find lovely fresh water springs(by 4wd) and old gold mines.Opened my eyes with graves from the 1860's.
anyway Jaffa enjoy adventure and have safe trip.
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Best wishes with your trip.
Don't forget the camera and we want to see your report here.
Ciao :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Jaffa

Post by Jaffa »

My God. I had forgotten what a 9hour day in the saddle feels like.

Made it as far as the Barossa Valley yesterday to catch up with some old school friends that I hadnt seen for 30 years or so. The girl is running beutifully, though I cant say the same for me. Managed just under a 1,000kms yesterday and have decided that its just tooooo many in one hit at my age.

Adelaide this morning for a quick visit to a bike shop for a new helmet, then on the road again. My next post will see me in Perth.

Thats about 2,500kms west of here...about a three day ride the way I am feeling. Will have to pull over every 150-200kms to rest the backside I think.

Handling is good, motor feels strong. Encountered some very high winds yesterday which drove the fuel consumption up. Was getting about 20kms / ltr until yesterday when it dropped to 16/17. I like the idea of 20's...gives a very good range.

Overall.....all is good in the world of motorcycling.

Oh...on a side note...when I arrived here yesterday...there about 300 other Dukes in town. There is an annuall gathering of Ducatiphiles here in the land down under and it happened to cooincide with my viist to the valley.

The rumble and rattle was fantastic.

Jaffa
:D
Jaffa
'91 907ie (RED)
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by redpaso »

300 dukes, that would have been awesome to ride into. I remember the same thing a year or 2 ago when they all come rolling past my place, what a sound & it just kept on going, rity I wasn't part of it.
Hope you have a great trip the rest of the way & many years of 907 fun to come. :thumbup:
Last edited by redpaso on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redpaso
"My favourite peice of Ballet is a long sweeping corner"
gail
year: 0

Post by gail »

Hey Jaffa, All the best on the trip. I'm thinking that is there a possibility that you may be the first Paso person to have took this one on . Gutsy effort! Take Care and Safe Journey.......... Marty
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

when you arrive home with a square butt you may want to try a Corbin seat :)
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

paso750 wrote:you may want to try a Corbin seat :)
Is it really so better?
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Jaffa

Post by Jaffa »

Well, Corbin seat or not, I dont think any saddle would turn out to be particularly comfortable on a journey like that.

Yes folks, I have made it to the west of this vast country. :D :D :D

I will post some photos of the ordeal shortly.

How could anyone not ride these bikes in their intended role. She performed beautifully, ran strong all day at 130/140kms per hour and had plenty of passing power for road trains and Grey Nomads on their pilgrimages.

Caught up with a group of about 20-30 other riders at a place called Balladonia which is well into Western Australia, they were on a Prostrate Cancer Awareness run. Just out for a leisurely run across Australia and back. Stayed with them for a while but they werent in any hurry.....well, not as much as me anyway.

Difficulties.... starting first thing in the morning became a real issue in the latter days. It appears as though the starter clutch may have decided that enough was enough. Engagement was almost non-existant on the final morning. Fortunately when hot, she started without too much grinding and whirring. Also, it appears as though I now have a brake problem at the front end. Shuddering when coming to a halt. Any ideas on that one would be appreciated.

A stripdown and a good clean ....of the bike...is now on the cards.

thanks for the support guys. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jaffa
'91 907ie (RED)
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

Nice one Jaffa, looking forward to the Pics

Did you see any of these critters in your travels? http://www.myrtlebeachwebdesign.com/koala-lizard.html it's way off subject but you might enjoy it none the less.

Shuddering could be a warped disc or possibly a few high spots from grit on your travels I imagine it may of been a bit dusty and you might not of used your brakes as often, when you have the sand may of melted onto the pads and given you an uneven brake surface. Drop them out and give them the once over with a bit of flat board and 240 wet and dry grit paper then refit.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Ducati Streetfighter 955 V2