Paso tires one more time.

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

pompone
year: 0

Paso tires one more time.

Post by pompone »

Hello Pasofriends, two weeks ago I changed the front tire of my Paso 16. I choosed a Dunlop 208 RR 130-70/16.

This tire, combinated with the rear Michelin is very good. The handling of the bike is harder, but you have a lot of grip, and you can brake inside of the corners without the sensation that the Paso wants to rise.

I was very happy with my Paso, but the old Michelin can't follow the rythm of the new Dunlop and thought the moment to change it had arrived.

I read a lot of pages about this matter and finally decided to buy a Bridgestone BT 45 in 150-80/16 size. Initially I didn't like this tire, I thought it is very thin to Paso 5 inches rim. I considered to buy a 180-60/16 tire, like a Goldwing size, but I thought if front tire change the handling, this gigantic tire could be worst, and I didn't want to have problems with chain alignement.

When I had decided the size rim I had to decided the model. I had two options, this Bridgestone BT 45 or Metzeler Lasertec, and I choosed the Bridgestone (worldchampion's tire :D ).

The problem I had was to mount the tire. Put it in the rim was very easy, but inflate it was impossible. The tire is very narrow and can't retain the air inside. Finally I mounted it with an inner tube.

The Paso with her new tires runs very well. You loose a little of handling but win a lot of grip and security, specially on wet roads. I think this is a good option for the people that don't want to make a 17 wheels conversion. One advantage of Michelin tires is the look. The Paso looks very fat with this tires (but when I ride I don't looking at it :D :D :D ).

70 hp. can change the world
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Tanks for advices! :thumbup:

Btw, what brand muffler You have??? is that some 2-1 system?

EDIT: sorry, i lookeed closer fotos, its 2-2 system, but What brand? "home made"? :confused:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
pompone

Post by pompone »

Hello Finn, these mufflers were originally a pair of Laser. I had a little crash and had to repair one of them, becuse of it I cut them 15 cms and painted in black.

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

why is there a different rear wheel in this picture ?

G.
pompone

Post by pompone »

Because the second photo was made another day. I have two Pasos, one 16 and other 17 and I interchange their parts.

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

3 more questions :D

- what side fairings are those as the airconveyors are part of the fairing ?
- how are the bar end weights mounted on the last picture ?
- the accelerator handle is an original one of a Supersport ? Just wondering as it is not black as usual ?

G.
pompone

Post by pompone »

Hi Gerard, how are you? :thumbup: The airconveyors had a lot of fissures in screws zone and one of them was cracked when I bought the Paso, because of it I repared them with fiberglass. I unifyed the conveyors with sidefairings before painting.

On the last picture the Paso has mounted an upside down fork of a Monster. With this fork I use a pair of Suzuki GSXR600 handlebars and they are hollow (you can see in 3rd photo) and I can screw an aftermarket bar end weight.

Finally, the accelerator handle is an original of a...Paso. :D Ihave polished it with my Dremel :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

P.d: sorry, but my english isn't very good. I like this web very much because I can learn a lot of Paso things, and practise it. :thumbup:
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I`m wondering, doesn`t the bike become unstable at higher speeds with the Monster/SS fork ? Reason I`m asking is because it is shorter than the one of the Paso and if you mount clip on handlebars the fork needs to stick out of the upper triple clamp quite a bit making the bike even lower on the front. If I remember right the distance of the fork legs to the steering axle on the Monster triple clamp is also smaller.

G.
pompone

Post by pompone »

The stability of my Paso is perfect :roll: . The Monster fork is 75mm shorter than Paso one, because of it I remove the original fork caps, and go to a good machinist who made a new ones 100 mm longer, 75mm of forks lenght diference and 25 for handlebars. I think in this photo you can look it better.

paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

thanks for the picture. I was thinking to do the same some time ago. Whoever wants to do this, it`s only possible with forks that have no fork adjuster at the upper end.

G.
pompone

Post by pompone »

Yes, of course. This is the little problem, but I installed a pair of Ohlins springs forks, change the oil and didn't touch it more, and it works very well :D
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

could you do me/us a little favour, if you upload pics could you resize them just a little, they hardly fit my screen :D
pompone

Post by pompone »

Yes of course :oops: I have this pictures "king size" in my PC and I sent directly :sad: :roll: :D :thumbup:
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

Good info, Pompone!

Do the front mudguard fit to the Showa w/o any mods?
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
pompone

Post by pompone »

My white Paso has a modified Suzuki TL1000S mudguard (photo 1 and 2), and the black had a Ducati SS900 92 mudguard in fiberglass first (photo 3) and then another in carbonfiber(photo 4). To use the original mudguard is complicated with upside down forks.