Key replacement

discussions specific to the 907IE
gpsheehan
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Key replacement

Post by gpsheehan »

Drive 20 miles from home. Take key out of ignition and insert into seat lock to open and take out wallet. Turn key like I have a hundred time and surprise, surprise, half the key comes off in my hand with the other half stuck in the lock. And the best is it was the only key.
anyone know 1. how to get a replacement key and 2. how the hell do I get the other half out of the seat lock?
:banghead:
Projectman
model: other
year: 1986

Re: Key replacement

Post by Projectman »

Yikes! That has made me sit up and take notice :shock: I also have only one key!
I was planning of going to our local locksmiths, as they have a key cutting facility. Last time I used them (for spare top-box keys) they said it was always better to take the lock/item containing lock into the shop, so that they can fine tune the cutting and fitting of the key.

As to removing the broken key - I'm sure you have considered/tried long nosed pliers, tweezers and magnets. It's what I would do. A bit of oil might help things slide out too.
Is there any way you can get the bike to a locksmith, or take the ignition barrel off?( to get a new key made up and get you back on the road as a priority) The barrel is only held on with two allen screws, I think.
I don't suppose you'll have much joy asking a Ducati dealer, will you?

Sorry if this isn't much use; I'm just punting out random suggestions and bumping your post back up the forum in the process ;) .

I wish you good luck with it. I'm sure you'll get it sorted eventually :) .
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

The topic of keys and blanks has been discussed before. I am sure that Fiat keys are (were) compatible but without the original it will be impossible to cut a copy. Good luck with the removal!
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
Projectman

Post by Projectman »

gpsheehan

You have a private message.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Post by ducinthebay »

+1 for Keys4Classics.
I sent Keys4Classics a photo of my key and he duplicated it. Can't say he can do it again, but he's pretty damn good. I now have several copies stashed. If you have a key code on your key, he can probably figure it.

As for getting your key out of the lock, start with some tweezers, and or straight pins and needles. After that, take the whole thing off the bike and send it to Keys4Classics.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
Projectman

Post by Projectman »

A neighbour's child knocked on our door today - 'I found a key, is it yours mister?'
Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh. It was only the key to my Ducati 907. I didn't even know that I had dropped it. :oops: That child will be receiving a large bag of sweets (candy).
I really must get another key cut. :wacko:
gpsheehan

Post by gpsheehan »

I guess i was lucky. Was able to push the broke key in and open the lock to the seat. Unscrewed the unit and was able to pull the lock out. Went to a local lock smith and he was able to pull the broken key out. Looks like he will be able to use the two parts to create THREE new keys.....Will post again once I try out the new keys.
Thanks everyone!
Projectman

Post by Projectman »

gpsheehan wrote:I guess i was lucky. Was able to push the broke key in and open the lock to the seat. Unscrewed the unit and was able to pull the lock out. Went to a local lock smith and he was able to pull the broken key out. Looks like he will be able to use the two parts to create THREE new keys.....Will post again once I try out the new keys.
Thanks everyone!
Good news :thumbup:

For the future and everyone else - These people - Basildon Locksmiths, on , 01268 534121.
apparently have a stock of key blanks for old bikes.
So, if you're stuck, they may well be able to help.
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

Great news - let everyone know what "blanks" the locksmith used. :o
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
20YearOwner
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by 20YearOwner »

Ducati keys are available from the following:

http://www.keys4classics.com/html/Ducati_80s.html