Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: 750 paseo dead

Post by Mc tool »

higgy wrote:Mctool is right on all counts but one
A lawn mower solenoid is not going to be cheaper :banghead:
Haven't had to repair your lawn mower lately eh Hamish ?

Just bought a carb solenoid for mine recently 125usd and I had to order it :wacko:
True My Dad ( yes I know who he is :lol: ) has a John Deere ride on and has been buying J D filters and drive belts...... untill I showed him how much there was to be saved by buying generic parts ( fram filters and gates belts ) who probly make the J D parts and re-badge them.
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
sestese
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by sestese »

Hello again, after 1 month I had some time to work on the bike and found out that is the electric starter motor that does not work. Now the question are, considering never did before...how difficult is to replace the electric starter motor? I saw you can get some on ebay that will fit the Paso for around 200-250 dollars, base on the service manual that I have, looks like need to remove the other side engine panel to access to the mounting screws, do you nee to drain the motor oil first? Is this something that will require some major expertise? should I try? or should just have the bike running somehow a ride to the mechanic?

Thanks, Sal
delagem
year: 0

Post by delagem »

sestese wrote:Hello again, after 1 month I had some time to work on the bike and found out that is the electric starter motor that does not work. Now the question are, considering never did before...how difficult is to replace the electric starter motor? I saw you can get some on ebay that will fit the Paso for around 200-250 dollars, base on the service manual that I have, looks like need to remove the other side engine panel to access to the mounting screws, do you nee to drain the motor oil first? Is this something that will require some major expertise? should I try? or should just have the bike running somehow a ride to the mechanic?

Thanks, Sal
I've never had a Ducati starter rebuilt, but I have had many other brands rebuilt. My local shop charges less than $50 for a rebuild, and stocks most of the internal parts.

You will have to drop the left side frame rail, and pull the left side engine cover to unbolt the starter. Nothing complicated, but you may need a puller to get the cover off. (I use a $9 steering wheel puller to remove my cover).

If your local shop needs brushes, etc, have a look at this post, seems most of these parts are common to some Kawasaki models:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2573
Last edited by delagem on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
sestese

Post by sestese »

Thanks!, is there a easy way to open just the back of the starter and check/replace the brushes!
delagem

Post by delagem »

sestese wrote:Thanks!, is there a easy way to open just the back of the starter and check/replace the brushes!
Yes,it was discussed in this thread:

http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4870

Personally, I'd pull the starter, and have it gone thru completely. It'll only take an hour of your time, plus whatever the shop's turnaround time is.

One caveat: pulling that left side cover is easy, but the gasket will probably tear. Mine did. So I tried putting my cover back on using Threebond (1194 I think), but the shift linkage would hang due to the decreased clearance. I wound up making a new gasket to sort this out properly. Source that sidecover gasket, or be prepared to make one.
The $900 Paso: DellOrto's, Dyna 5 ohm coils, Ignitech TCIP4; finally, a new set of tires! Goldentyre GT070/071

The bike is gone, but the nightmares continue...
pompone

Post by pompone »

You can find a electric starter motor from another Ducati (SS, Monster, etc). Is the same motor. In my Paso I have one from a Monster. You must change the little pinion of the axle. :thumbup:
70 hp. can change the world
Fraser
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Sestese,

There are brush replacement kits available, you get new brushes with the tails and some new springs.
You can get the starter motor brushes out/off without removing the engine cover, but putting the brushes on and refitting the starter is nearly impossible with the engine cover on, it is easier to take the cover off and give yourself some proper access.

Cheers,
Fraser.
750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
sestese

Post by sestese »

ok, thanks guys.
I'll try this week end and let you know the progress.
sestese

Post by sestese »

Hello, today I started to work on the bike and looks like is very difficult to remove the end cap of the starter motor because of the 2 oil pressure lines on the way, I was able to remove only one screw...
the other option about opening the left engine cover sounds better,...I think, not sure. Do I need to drain the motor oil first opening the side panel? I started to loose/remove some screws and saw some oil drips from the bottom. ..Please help!
Anybody on the forum live in Los Angeles area so I can chat for some help?
Thanks.
randtcastell
year: 1987

Post by randtcastell »

To open the back of the starter to inspect the brushes, I did move the two oil lines out of the way, but I had to modify a spanner to do so for clearance purposes. I believe I had to grind down the width of the open end wrench in order for it to be thin enough to slip into position around the fittings. it was not difficult. The hard part was putting to rear cap of the starter back on with the brushes in the correct positions. Best of luck!
1987 Ducati P750
1973 Honda CB450
2022 KTM RC390
sestese

Post by sestese »

ok, thank you very much!
I'll try to remove the oil lines and see if I can just change the brushes.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

When I removed the starter off my SS ( pretty much the same set up ) I removed the cable 1st and then leaned the bike over against the work bench for 1/2 hour ( to let as much oil as possible to drain out of that cover area )_ and removed the left cover . If you remove the oil pipes to the cooler you will need to contain the oil and ( for me ) I wanted to do the job without getting messy
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time