Brake Rotor replacement 907IE and Timing belts

discussions specific to the 907IE
paulmozzi
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Brake Rotor replacement 907IE and Timing belts

Post by paulmozzi »

Hi guys, I had to order a set of front pads today, and was wondering how often the brake rotors should be replaced. The bike has 17,000 miles on it, but I don't know if the rotors are original or not. I get no pulsing when on the brakes hard. I just wanted to see what the opinions are out there. Also I found out from the original owner that the timing belts are the original ones. I saw in the owners manual they should be replaced at 12,000 miles. Am I pushing my luck riding the bike, or do you guys think I can change the belts in the fall. I will probably only put about 3,000 miles on her this summer. Thank you again for all of your help. You guys are wonderful!
Regards, Paul
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Brake Rotor replacement 907IE and Timing belts

Post by Mc tool »

For the rotors , there will be a minimum thickness spec'd in the book which Im pretty sure is 3.5mm ( standard is 4.4 to 4.6mm ) but if they aint pulsing as you say and don't look rooted ( all gouged up ) and are over the 3.5mm they should be ok
Cam belts ..... well it would seem that me and the rest of the world have differing views here , where I think an inspection for wear ( working side of the belt looks all shiney )and fraying is the go , refitting a passable belt and correctly tensioning it I would think that 12000m is not excessive . Other ( quite knowlegable and experienced people ) think that a belt should be changed at anything from 3000m (5000km ), or every year or if the bike has not been used for some time ( apparently they develop a memory but if that is so check the factory packaging
and ask yourself . I think that some people get a bit hysterical about the life of a belt but I gotta admit that if one does break it will pretty much fuck the whole motor , so its up to you to balance the cost of replacement against failure due to wear/age/ memory . I personally have no problem leaving a belt for 30000km BUT I do check them ( as in take them right off for a good look see )when I check the valve clearances and change the oil every 5000km's . Another thing that adds to the problem is that factory spec'd change intervals seem to get longer as time goes by so it may depend wether you read a 1986 p750 service manual or a 1000ds manual . Having said all that if you have a 907 with the original (17000m ) belts I would definatly change them. :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Another thing that adds to the problem is that factory spec'd change intervals seem to get longer as time goes by so it may depend wether you read a 1986 p750 service manual or a 1000ds manual
The simple reason probably is that back in the day the belts had a different quality and were not kevlar reinforced etc as they are today.
If your belts are from 93 you are pushing your luck. ;)

G.
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Thank you guys. I will have to see what the dealer is going to charge me for this. I have basic knowledge, but I am not sure if I should try to tackle this or not. As always, I really appreciate the advice and help you give. Ride safe.
Regards, Paul
900streetfighter
year: 1992

Post by 900streetfighter »

Hi Paul,
I would get the belts done asap, if you do ride it don't cane it. Very easy to change yourself, loads of video's on the net. Approx 3 hours doing it first time and a lot of that is removing and refitting the fairing, I would change the oil+filter if it hasn't been done in the last year or so, depending on previous usage. Ducati's like to be used regularly.. A workshop should do it in 2 hours providing there's no seized bolts. Maybe get the valve shiming checked and the injection and throttle position sensor set up if theres a reasonably priced ducati tec near you to get it running sweet.

Cheers, Keith.
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

Yeah , have a go Paul , its a piece of cake , just check everything lots at each stage . The timing marks are plain to see and if you get the timing out by even one tooth its as obvious as all hell ( check lots ). If you must ( no need to, better off not doing it ) turn the motor with the belts off be very careful as if a valve is well open and not moving ( no drive to cam) when the piston come up it will hit the valve and possibly bend it
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

No doubt, you must to replace them.
I also have only some basic knowledges and I have replaced them first time two months ago with the help of the friend nojapan :thumbup: :thumbup: .
Better to say, HE replaced the belts and me used to give him the tools :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It did'nt do so easy and, even if I have seen how to do it, I don't think I would manage to do it again.
All in all, replace them asap.
Ciao :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Thank you for all of the advice and help. To tell you I appreciate you all, is an understatement! I will go online, and see what I can find for replacing the belts. I have changed the oil and put new front pads on already. Thank you again to all of you for the help. Please ride safe!
Regards, Paul :)
Stingray230SX

Post by Stingray230SX »

this site can walk u thru it......

http://www.ducatisuite.com/
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
Duc906
year: 1989

Post by Duc906 »

G'day Paul

Here's a you tube video that shows you what to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzPZ84ZRjU
nickta

Post by nickta »

paulmozzi wrote:Thank you for all of the advice and help. To tell you I appreciate you all, is an understatement! I will go online, and see what I can find for replacing the belts. I have changed the oil and put new front pads on already. Thank you again to all of you for the help. Please ride safe!
Regards, Paul :)
Hi Paul.

I just finished the belts, bearings and valves of the 907. I used the instructions from the Ducatisuite web site above. Very good and clear. The one thing that was a bit weird was the lip on the cam pulley's. There is a ring that is pressed over the pulley, which makes slipping the belt on and off a bit of a challenge. Later models have done away with the ring. Fear not though, as the ring does come off with a bit of work with a pair of long nose pliers, and then knock it back on with a punch and small hammer. That was the method I found on one of the Ducati forums out there. Someone on this forum may have a better method?

If you do tackle the valves, give up beer before you start, so you can take it up again afterwards! The first time you drop one of the half rings that hold the closer shims in place you tend to use swear words that you haven't used for some time, and make up a few new one's just to make sure. But the first time it all drops into place you will want that beer you gave up earlier. :beer:

Cheers.

Nick.
paulmozzi

Post by paulmozzi »

Great info guys! Thank you again for all of your help. What would the average joe do with out all of you? Have a great weekend!
Cheers Paul :thumbup:
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

You don't need those rings on the cam pulleys, they make replacing the belts very difficult. I just pull them off and throw them away :)
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland