A tailight mystery

discussions specific to the 907IE
nickta
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: A tailight mystery

Post by nickta »

Get the colour version of the Wiring Diagram off the 907 documents link, from memory, in the "manuals" sub directory. Print it in colour and on A3 and its like looking at the bike!

Out of curiosity, does the tailight come on when the ignition switch is in the "Park" position? The Tailight is fed from 2 different fuses, depending on what position the switch is in. If it works in one and not the other, it might be a dodgy contact in the switch.

Cheers.

Nick.
2vtwin

Post by 2vtwin »

higgy wrote:You put yourself at greater risk not learning to use the rear break especially on a Paso
Some day it will save your life :thumbup:
Thanks. I know how to use a rear brake and I understand the weight bias of the Paso is more balanced front/rear, but I've not found the rear brake on any Ducati I've owned not to offer much stopping power, inluding the Paso. As a certified MSF instructor I do know how to apply maximum braking when the need arises. And I do use it on occasion when I discover gravel mid-turn. - Gene
"It's about the Journey, Not the destination"
AMA Charter Life Member, Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member, Patriot Guard Rider
02' M900
01' Victory SC
04' Victory KP
09' HD XR1200
14' Ducati Diavel
16' Victory Cross Country Tour
2vtwin

Post by 2vtwin »

nickta wrote: Out of curiosity, does the tailight come on when the ignition switch is in the "Park" position? The Tailight is fed from 2 different fuses, depending on what position the switch is in. If it works in one and not the other, it might be a dodgy contact in the switch.

Cheers.

Nick.
Thanks I will check that. - Gene
AMA Charter Life Member, Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member, Patriot Guard Rider
02' M900
01' Victory SC
04' Victory KP
09' HD XR1200
14' Ducati Diavel
2vtwin

Post by 2vtwin »

paso750 wrote:The yellow wire comes from the parking light bulb in the headlight.
I guess you did check the fuses.

G.
I had indeed checked the fuses but as suggested by you and others I'll also check the parking light. - Gene
02' M900
01' Victory SC
04' Victory KP
09' HD XR1200
14' Ducati Diavel
2vtwin

Post by 2vtwin »

The parking light is not working either. I have checked all the fuses including the 2 15A fuses in the left front behind the fairing. The ehadlight works on both high and low beam. Does the prking light control the tailight somehow? - Gene
02' M900
01' Victory SC
04' Victory KP
09' HD XR1200
14' Ducati Diavel
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

The tail light and parking light are on the same circuit. The circuit is grey/yellow from the fusebox to the lighting switch which switches it through to a grey/black when the lights are on. This takes it to the ignition switch where it is routed to a Yellow/red to both the tail and parking lights. The ignition switch also connects the yellow/red to the blue from the fuse box when it is switched to the 'park' position.
First check the 15A fuse although that's unlikely to be at fault as you wouldn't have a headlight ether nor would the starter solenoid operate.
If the park/tail lights operate with the ignition switch in the 'park' position the fault is with the lighting switch or the wires to it. If not then it can only be the yellow/red wire form the ignition switch to the parking light, possibly a break or poor connection. The diagram shows the wire then continuing from the parking light to the tail light where it becomes a yellow wire at the tail light connector.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland