FARTINESS CURED

discussions specific to the 907IE
richard
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: FARTINESS CURED

Post by richard »

907pasonut wrote:
richard wrote:FARTINESS CURED. Turned out one of the cylinders was running lean. Took it to a friend who did an injector balance
richard, was that injector balance, or injector clean...i dont think you can change the injector parameters on the 907 :dunno:
in any case good to see the bike is going well again :thumbup:

INJECTOR BALANCE
rp
giocast
model: 900 SS
year: 1990

Post by giocast »

Hi Richard
Glad you got to the bottom of this problem, I would love to know exactly what your friend did to cure the problem as I wasn't aware there was scope for mixture adjustment (as has been said). I remember that a 'dribbling' injector or one that is malfunctioning can fail to promote good atomisation at low engine speeds and hence 'deliver a weaker charge - is this what was happening?. Manifold air leaks could cause similar effects as well as vacuum always greater at the same kind of engine speeds.
richard

Post by richard »

Hi Giocast
We checked the exhaust with a probe and altered the adjuster screws which are on the right hand side of the bike until we got what my friend regarded as an improvement. He expected a certain level on his readout screen and one cylinder was below par. So we made them more equal in terms of the readout.
RP
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Post by Derek »

Sounds like he adjusted the airbleed screws to achieve the same CO reading for both cylinders.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
richard

Post by richard »

Rogero wrote:Great news Richard !

Let me know the details of the man with the magic touch!

Cardiff needs as much help as it can get with old red Dukes!

JUST CHECKING YOU GOT THE INFO ROGERO
HAPPY NEW YEAR
RICHARD
du907

Post by du907 »

I agree with above. The screws he adjusted where the air bleed screws.

Just as a reminder, below quote comes from the setup guide that is on this site and the web.

Set the IDLE Balance by adjusting the airbleed screws counterclockwise and confirming that the vacuum is identical for both cylinders at idle. You can rev the engine and observe vacuum tracking through the rev range, and then observe idle vacuum restabilising. NOTE Since the airbleeds are designed to iron out any irregularities in the throttle's function, by their nature there is no default setting, unlike the idle screws on a carburettor. If anything the default setting is fully closed. Airbleeds can also be balanced using a 2 channel CO meter. In this case, just adjust the bleeds until both cylinders have the same CO.
• Adjust the IDLE Mixture. Finally you get to set the CO Trimmer ! This will affect both cylinders by the same amount, so you need to set the airbleeds first. A typical CO figure for idle is 4% to 6%, but automotive regulations usually specify a CO of under 1% to meet emmissions standards. A V-twin will idle very poorly if the CO is set below 1%, so if you are really bothered try a setting of about 3%. Note that you may need to finesse the airbleeds at this stage.