Carbtune Throttle body sync tool

discussions specific to the 907IE
nickta
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Carbtune Throttle body sync tool

Post by nickta »

Afternoon all.

The 907 is now running a treat. The miss is pretty much gone. The result of having both throttle bodies in sync! After much thought and contemplation, I went down the purchase my own Sync tool route rather than take it to a bike Mechanic, which are few and far between in this part of Oz. Mercury being a little hard to come by, and general laziness on my part to build my own led me to a Sync tool made in the UK. The brand was Carbtune. After more searching and reading, I found this forum with a pretty good write up of 2 types of sync tool, that being the Carbtune and the Motion Pro.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85245

In the end I purchased the Carbtune direct from Morgan in Dublin (Web site: http://www.carbtune.com/ ). 2 weeks to the day it arrived. Considering it had to come through the Olympics and half the world, not a bad delivery time. It took all of about 5 minutes to set up, about 5 minutes to connect up, and about 2 minutes to realise the sync was about 2cm out! Quick adjust and it was as near perfect as I could get it. Setting the idle sync was a piece of cake too.

All in all, I got the Carbtune, the tool pouch and the 4 and 5mm brass fittings for the grand total of about $130 (Oz $$). If I only got the Carbtune and pouch, it would have been about $100 or there abouts.

Things I liked about the Carbtune were it appeared pretty easy to use, no liquids to spill all over the place, its very robust, you can pull the back off it and clean it all if it looks like its getting sticky and for $100 odd (or about 2 cartons of beer), what can I say.

Would I buy another (should this one disappear)? Yep. Would I recommend it? Time will tell, but it is easy to use. If you have been thinking of buying a sync tool, have a read of the comparison above.

Cheers.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: Carbtune Throttle body sync tool

Post by ducinthebay »

I used a Twinmax, with similar results. Sure makes a difference. Of course no air leaks and new cables made a big difference too. I tried "The Cuddle" but I guess I didn't have the right touch.

Cheers, Phil
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

hi nickta, do you know which adapter you ended up using on your bike, is it 4,5 or 6mm fitting on the intake manifold?
I think I might go for the EMGO twin gauge set $59+$7.50 delivery from adelaide, but Im not sure if I need extra adapters.
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
nickta

Post by nickta »

Hi Claude.

The first time I sync'ed the Throttle bodies, I connected the Carbtune onto the outlets that go back to the 3 bar prssure valve for the fuel pump. There is a T piece in between the 2 throttle bodies. I pulled the single line off and plugged it so there wouldn't be any interation with the fuel switch cutting in and out. The bonus with this is no adaptors are necessary. The down side is you have to set the fuel tank up on a stand and run fuel lines and what have you. You still have access to the balance screw even with the airbox in place. I managed to get it all done with the existing cable (fuel pump and fuel sender) and hoses, though it was pretty tight.

I set the whole thing up again over the weekend, but put the adaptors in the screw holes in the inlet duct. This is a 5mm hole/adaptor (once the screw is out!). The horizontal cylinder duct is a piece of cake to get to. Not so the vertical! Its fiddly, but can be done. You can then check the balance at idle and adjust if necessary with the tank in place. Can't do the main sync, but it should be a set and forget for a little while. The sync at higher revs was still pretty similar to when I set it the first time, so I gave in to slackness and left it alone.

Cheers.

Nick.
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

hi Nick,
thanks for the reply, next valve tuneup/service I will check for intake balance :thumbup:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
nickta

Post by nickta »

Hi Claude.

Ooops. Made a blue with the sizes of adaptors that came with the Carbtune. It comes with 5mm + 6mm plastic adaptors or you can purchase the 5mm + 6mm brass adaptors. My original post had 4mm + 5mm. Its definitely the smaller (5mm) that screw into the Inlet duct. Sorry about that.

Cheers.

Nick.
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by ducapaso »

I built my own for cheap, as you can see in the F.A.Q. topics of 750 paso :)
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(