zedder
model: 750 Paso
year: 1990

Clutch plate sets 750 Paso

Post by zedder »

I have found this site offering clutch plate sets for 750 Paso :shock:

http://www.kit-piston.com/en/ducati-pas ... -8785.html

Is this a good deal ?

Or is their a cheaper alternative somewhere else in Europe ?

I need a new set as mine is now virtually on it's "last legs"

I've managed to get it into ""useable condition again by fitting a new "O" ring to the slave and selecting the best plates from both bikes and bleeding the system
But I suspect that the plates are now so "thin" that the hydraulics are at the limit of their travel, as neutral is hard to select when stationary due to some "drag"
It is still rideable as I select neutral when approaching traffic lights and stop juntions (many years of riding old British iron taught me that trick :wink: )

Cheers

Zedder :cool:
ahdoman
year: 1988

Re: Clutch plate sets 750 Paso

Post by ahdoman »

Zedder - I recently replaced my clutch with parts I bought from an eBay listing from a guy here in the states. But, I had trouble finding any real clear info on the clutch assembly order and plate specs. Luckily the guy I bought my parts from raced and he knew his stuff. Make sure you have the first plate in as steel then alternate the plates. Also, and this is really important, make sure you have a 5 - 6mm clearance between the outer circlip and the clutch plate. If the clearance is too big it will slip, if it's too small it will stick in gear and make it really hard to find neutral. Because some of my plates were different thicknesses it took me a little bit of work to get the pack correct and have the correct clearance against the big circlip.
1988 Red Ducati Paso 750
1999 BMW R1100S
zedder
year: 1990

Post by zedder »

Thanks for your input ahdoman :wink:

I have the plate sequence list :thumbup:
(downloaded and printed out from the faq's on this forum)

What I am wanting to know, is whether this site I have found, are offering the plate sets at a "fair" price ?

What I'm thinking is, that at this price, for a 20 odd year old bike, being able to get plates " off the shelf " is a bit of a bonus :shock:

The thick end of £200 for a set of clutch plates and springs (inc delivery) seemed a bit expensive to me :huh:

But as the bike is virtually scrap without them, I suppose I'll have to "bite the bullet" and pay up :-(

Unless anyone knows a "cheaper" supplier :dunno:

Cheers

Zedder :cool:
ahdoman
year: 1988

Post by ahdoman »

Being in America I'm not sure of what the conversion rate is but the person that I bought my used clutch pack from also offered me a new one including the metal plates (which the one you show does not include) for $150 usd.

(Note: this info may be wrong but I have no reason not to believe what I have been told)
I was told not to necessarily look at the thickness of each plate but the overall tolerances when the pack is assembled. If you have the proper clearance at the circlip and the right number of plates (composite and metal) then your clutch should still work. The really critical issue with each composite plate is that there is still material on it and the critical issue with the metal plates is that they are not heavily damaged (scored, warped, etc.). I think the spec calls out for each plate to be at a minimum thickness of .129in; some of my plates are less than that (.118). In fact, when I put the clutch back together I originally made sure that I used all plates that were at least .129 but it made the pack too thick and it made it really hard to find neutral and the shifting was "tight" not smooth. I swapped out discs so that I had the correct gap to the circlip and all is good. (FYI - My plates vary from .118 to .125).

My point is that you may not need a new clutch pack. If you've managed to salvage units from both bikes you may be good. Or, like I did, purchase a bunch of used plates from eBay. The guy I bought mine from said that some of the Guzzi's use the same plate type.
1988 Red Ducati Paso 750
1999 BMW R1100S