discussions specific to the 907IE
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: dropped a shim

Post by higgy »

Well it just got worse.
Went out to finally finish up the horizontal cylinder valve adjustment. Forgot to put on the hemostat to hold the intake valve. Pushed down on the shim to get the clips out caught them with the magnet turned around and clink there it went........
With everything else going on with the biz setup, guess my season's over before it begins.
No Norton Gathering, No Triumph reunion, No auction............
So I guess I have to order that Stator now to salvage May assuming I don't manage to screw that up as well.
Some days it just don't pay to get outta bed :banghead:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
giocast
model: 900 SS
year: 1990

Post by giocast »

that's a total pain Higgy - is there no way of hooking it back up with a convluted bit of wire through the plug hole? never done it myself it's true.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Maybe through the intake. Not sure at the moment
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
angelix

Post by angelix »

did it go all the way down? the valve itself should be longer than the stroke so in theory (or with a little luck) it should still be inside the guide and just leaning on the top of the piston.

If this is the case, you could try rotating the cranck VERY slowly and see if you can push it up; you have to be extremely careful, you don't want the valve to bend.

the other alternative is grabbing the valve through the inlet and push it up, but you will need to "free" the inlet to gain access to it.

another thing that you could try is "sucking" the valve by putting a small silicone tube through the guide attached to a vaccum cleaner...i know it works, but again the valve needs to me inside the guide leaning on the top of the piston; I am not sure if you can get the tube in without removing the cam, still worth looking ointo it before taking the whole thing apart.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Already tried rolling the piston up,its not budging.
Gonna pull the intake off and see if I can get a hold of it. Already have the injection most of the way out of the way and yes I don't think it fell all the way out either
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
samandkimberly
year: 1993

Post by samandkimberly »

higgy wrote:Already tried rolling the piston up,its not budging.
Gonna pull the intake off and see if I can get a hold of it. Already have the injection most of the way out of the way and yes I don't think it fell all the way out either
Higgy - if its still in the valve guide try a magnet. I've got a little neodymium one here that is smaller dia than the valve and I'm playing with it on the end of an exhaust valve and it sticks like glue on the end - it would easily pull it out.

I've got a bunch of these magnets; I'll send one down to you if you want.

Sam
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso

Post by Mc tool »

Mmmmm , I had to put a lot of effort not to laugh my ass off ( while I still can , more on that in off topic ) but I made it . BUGGER, something I have lived in fear of . The bloody thing is probly only just in the end of the guide and probly no longer in line with the axis , Quite possibly the retainer groove is snagged on the end of the guide too. Buddy ; I bet it will be easier to remove the head in the long run :-( you could always try picking the whole bike up by the back wheel :)
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
giocast
model: 900 SS

Post by giocast »

seeing as we're covering all that's radical and lateral here, you can carefully insert a drill blank etc down through the valve guide until you touch something then mark it and withdraw it so you can measure it. Slightly crude I know, but depending on the dimension you could get an idea how much of the valve stem is still in the guide.
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by Desmo_Demon »

higgy wrote: and one day I may even be able to shift normally. Till then I use GP shift,
My wife uses a Pingel electric shifter with button controls on the left handlebar...

higgy wrote: Pushed down on the shim to get the clips out caught them with the magnet turned around and clink there it went........
It sounds like you didn't have the piston at TDC, unfortunately. At TDC, I'm positive the valve stops at the piston with the stem still sticking out. The valve falling into the cylinder is alwasy a fear of mine when doign the valves. I tend to remove the belt when working on a head, that way I can leave the piston at TDC all the time - since the cam needs to be rotated slightly to get the rocker to slide over on the shaft to allow access to the opener shim.

Wish you luck with it!....maybe you need to train a mouse to go in through the intake and push the valve back up. You can train him with a spare head and have it designed where, each time he pushes up on the valve, he'll get food. It may take a few weeks to train him, but I think it will work. :mrgreen:
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)