Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Re: underseat electrics.

Post by jcslocum »

PasoRoo wrote:Jon,

It seems your alternator wiring has melted in exactly the same interesting, chocolatey, way as mine.

Yeah, crappy connections and corrosion make for a high heat joint. It's all been fixed up tho.
bobst2
year: 1988

Post by bobst2 »

my 88 750 paso looks identical except mods to higgy,s 906 paso digiplex box ,relay etc layed out the same
desmodave
year: 0

Post by desmodave »

Desmo_Demon wrote:Here's my '87 P750 as stock (without the wiring upgrade performed, yet)...

I like this reg it has the letters and you can see the wires i have had left, since fitting the rr51. one pink. one red. (one blue one, which i joined to the white on rr51.

whats the part no for this reg? my bike is 89paso. has it beeen reliable? e.g not drained off the batt!!
Last edited by desmodave on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desmodave

Post by desmodave »

desmodave wrote:
Desmo_Demon wrote:Here's my '87 P750 as stock (without the wiring upgrade performed, yet)...

I like this reg it has the letters and you can see the wires i have had left since fitting the rr51 the pink one red one blue one(which i joined to the white on rr51.

whats the part no for this reg? my bike is 89paso. has it beeen reliable? e.g not drained off the batt!!

on a second qoute this is the answer ive been looking for although your bike is a little earlier than mine the pink the extra red (not the alt red!) blue and i have two green joining which connected to reg like your single one.
desmodave

Post by desmodave »

desmodave wrote:
desmodave wrote:

I like this reg it has the letters and you can see the wires i have had left since fitting the rr51 the pink one red one blue one(which i joined to the white on rr51.

on a second qoute this is the answer ive been looking for although your bike is a little earlier than mine the pink the extra red (not the alt red!) blue and i have two green joining which connected to reg like your single one.
hope everyone who has a rr51 or doesnt. understands the remaining wires that go nowhere now!
seems mine is missing the earth left side of reg(this is shown as going to the coils but as mine has a earth closer to thecoils themselves i didnt think mine had one back seat.unless someone knows better, p.s i havent done the lower part upgrade because of another wire problem with the orange wire at the coil.
desmodave

underseat electrics finale!

Post by desmodave »

Thanx everyone for the great response to my post fantastic. one last question should the alternator wires be that white? was it possible to change these wires without taking the engine out? what gauge wire did you use?

desmodave.
jayh
year: 1986

Re: underseat electrics finale!

Post by jayh »

Thats strange I'm sure this reply was in another thread before :lol: :lol: :lol:
anyways the reply remains the same :

If your wiring is indeed fried or aged,it should be replaced with a good quality silicone coated wire that can handle the hot engine oil.This type of wire can be purchased from appliance repair shops,its used in things that get hot like toasters etc.

You will need to make or purchase a puller to remove the altenator cover.This bolts into the electronic ignition badge holes on the side of the altenator cover and pushes on the end of the crankshaft,to facilitate its removal.The wiring comes away with the altenator cover,you may want to consider doing your ignition pickup wiring at the same time as it is prone to heat damage too.At the very least check that there are no bits of magnetised metal hanging of the ends of the pickups and that their gap is correct. J.
desmodave

Re: underseat electrics finale!

Post by desmodave »

jayh wrote:Thats strange I'm sure this reply was in another thread before :lol: :lol: :lol:
anyways the reply remains the same :

If your wiring is indeed fried or aged,it should be replaced with a good quality silicone coated wire that can handle the hot engine oil.This type of wire can be purchased from appliance repair shops,its used in things that get hot like toasters etc.

You will need to make or purchase a puller to remove the altenator cover.This bolts into the electronic ignition badge holes on the side of the altenator cover and pushes on the end of the crankshaft,to facilitate its removal.The wiring comes away with the altenator cover,you may want to consider doing your ignition pickup wiring at the same time as it is prone to heat damage too.At the very least check that there are no bits of magnetised metal hanging of the ends of the pickups and that their gap is correct. J.
cheers j! p.s hope you watch the 4 nations rugby league!!!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Thats strange I'm sure this reply was in another thread before :lol: :lol: :lol:
That`s me. If I didn`t merge some of Dave`s threads there would be now 7 or 8 (if I counted well) on one very same topic. ;)

G.
desmodave

Post by desmodave »

PasoRoo wrote:Jon,

It seems your alternator wiring has melted in exactly the same interesting, chocolatey, way as mine. I recently cut the wires back to where they were halfway decent and crimped new connectors on. It went from this:
Old_wiring.JPG
to this:
New_wiring.JPG
and a photo of the complete setup for Desmodave:
DSC_00280004.JPG
Although the setup is slightly different now because I installed a HiCap kit.

Cheers,

Mike

Very tidy wiring ilike this 10/10 matey! lov to know what the b+ means this is where my open wires will go is this reg a paso? cause my original was different still.
desmodave

Post by desmodave »

Desmo_Demon wrote:
desmodave wrote:
Desmo_Demon wrote:
Closest to mine what is the earth for nearest side left as your sat on it???
I corrected my caption with the picture above in the thread. That was a picture of the underseat electronics BEFORE I did the wiring upgrade. It was after I had done some wiring repairs.

The upper ground on the voltage regulator is for the relay. The lower ground on the regulator goes directly to the point on the frame where the negative battery cable connects to the frame. It is the green to black wire with the yellow butt splice connecting them in the second picture below.

Also, my stator wires are green because I replaced them from the engine case all the way to the regulator. The wires were in such bad shape that I had to replace them. The insulation was dry, discolored, and sections of the insulation was either missing or crumbled as I touched them. I also think I went with a little larger gauge wire than stock.

This is what some of the wiring looked like when I first got the bike...
God thats poor!and those are they near the swing arm will earth on the swingarm by the un taped up cconnecters!!
PasoRoo

Post by PasoRoo »

Sorry Desmodave, not sure what you mean by b+? The pics were taken after I completed the wiring upgrade described in the FAQs.

The regulator is the original one and was quite common judging by the pics from Jon and others.

Cheers,

Mike
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

there is no B+, there`s only a R+ and a B. Those are connections on the regulator/rectifier. B goes to the battery + via the starter relais and R+ goes to the alternator.

G.
desmodave

Post by desmodave »

paso750 wrote:there is no B+, there`s only a R+ and a B. Those are connections on the regulator/rectifier. B goes to the battery + via the starter relais and R+ goes to the alternator.

G.
ta g. pink? is this your own colour wiring! so thats g.g.r. y.y.r any more alternator colours!
desmodave

Post by desmodave »

desmodave wrote:
paso750 wrote:there is no B+, there`s only a R+ and a B. Those are connections on the regulator/rectifier. B goes to the battery + via the starter relais and R+ goes to the alternator.

G.
ta g. pink? is this your own colour wiring! so thats g.g.r. y.y.r any more alternator colours!
nah! blooming heck! you just have 2 wire alt (of course) so i would if i had this reg wire up as the rr51 but i would have the added extra of my pink blue and 2 g/gb join too! mystery solved!

wish id never got the rr51 now caused such a headache hasnt it? but this reg is closest to my standard reg.