discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Fuel Gauge and Temperature Gauge

Post by Mc tool »

Hi Dustin , 125 miles sounds a bit "short " My paso does better than 50mpg , and as such I had no trouble getting around 200m per tank (at cruising altitude ). In the end I adjusted the fuel meter by putting a measured 5 litres in to the tank and setting the float so it read 1/4 tank on the meter.Pushing any bike any distance , let alone a 4 mile shove to a paso is not good .Did everyone you know in the whole world just happen to see you pushing a ducati :P :mad: :lol: . Last time I had to get off and push was when the dickhead boy at the service station filled me up with diesel :x :x :x :x :lol:
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
dross1
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by dross1 »

Thanks for the info! I am wondering if there is a leak then because I did about 100 miles in a day and when I looked to see how much fuel was in the tank... I was nervous to see that there really wasn't a whole lot. Now I understand it was ALL highway driving (cruised at 70mph), but I would think that I could still have more gas in the tank than what there was... Saturday I'm going to take a look and try to find leaks and give it an oil change, clean the carb again, and check all wires for leaks, crimps, and anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks again for the info!!
Dustin

(Ducati's I use to own)
1988 Ducati Paso 750 #

1988 Ducati Paso 750 #28
davidhughrose

Post by davidhughrose »

Slight variation of the same problem. My fuel gauge works correctly with key on but engine off. When started however, the gauge reading bounces around erratically. I may have something, but since i gas up before each ride it hasnt put me at the side of the road yet. Thoughts on what this might be?

Dave
davidhughrose

Post by davidhughrose »

Meant to say "... I may have miswired something when i had the gauge out for tank painting, but if so it is not apparent to me..."
dross1

Post by dross1 »

So I have discovered the problem to my very poor gas mileage... the Paso is running on one piston. The second one is not firing. Taking the bike apart tomorrow and doing work on it to get it going for my trip back to college on Sunday. I am hoping no damage is done because I would be very upset if I ended up ruining something else because of being oblivious to it :banghead:

I'll post an update if it turns out that truely was the problem.

And only one person saw me pushing the Ducati :-( He yelled out "you should have bought a Honda kid!!"
Man that made me mad :mad: :mad: :banghead:
Dustin

(Ducati's I use to own)
1988 Ducati Paso 750 #

1988 Ducati Paso 750 #28
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

yeah, running on only 1 cylinder would probly effect economy, tho you would think it would only use 1/2 as much :D
Squirt a bit of monkey piss ( crc ) on to the headers , start her up and watch for the smoke , assuming that you are starting with a cold engine , ( the cylinder thats not working wont burn the crc ), then check that cylinder for spark , using original plug , and compression , if your real good you can do both at once, and go from there
good luck
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
dross1

Post by dross1 »

Ok this was the easiest fix I have ever had. I took the tank off, noticed that the spark plug wire wasn't connected to the one plug :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Well, I cleaned out the jets anyways and carb. This bike has so much power all of a sudden :shock: :shock: :shock:

I can't believe it was a simple fix. So much smoke and everything. It would explain too why the bike was starting to leak oil. Man I got lucky with this one. Makes me think twice about double checking every little thing.

Thanks everyone!! :beer:
Dustin

(Ducati's I use to own)
1988 Ducati Paso 750 #

1988 Ducati Paso 750 #28