906 Front Brake Discs for New Zealand rider?

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
Mobius
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

906 Front Brake Discs for New Zealand rider?

Post by Mobius »

I'm in New Zealand...

My 906 had bent front discs when it arrived and can't be re-registered without replacing. I found a set at Gowanloch's (in Sydney Australia) but it'll cost me at *least* NZD $720 to have them shipped here. If customs pick them up - I could be charged GST and even more tax, which could take them to well over $850!

I tried Andy at Ducati Spares (Dunedin, NZ), but he doesn't have any new discs, and the 2nd hand ones he has are under the minimum (4.5mm) and can not be used.

Does anyone know of any second hand discs in *good* condition, or new ones which would cost less than $720 to land in New Zealand?

Holy Moly - these discs are twice the price of the Genuine Porsche parts for my 928!

Duane at Duane's Bikes and Skis reckons we can have some made, and is trying to find out how much it would cost, but it seems fairly certain it'll be more than $700.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"
Foxtee
model: 750 Paso

Re: 906 Front Brake Discs for New Zealand rider?

Post by Foxtee »

I got a used pair from guzzitech.com last November , $120.00 NZ including shipping form the US .
Hope this helps
1990 750 Paso
2011 Suzuki Bandit 1250 S
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by englishstiv »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducati-9 ... ccessories

This company does 906 discs and I had a couple of the buyers contact me after I emailed them for feedback personally - these come with a high recommendation and may solve your problem also yamaha use the same disc on several of their bikes so this may be a cheaper local solution for your problem place Yamaha Discs in search on this site. I know it works with the 907ie
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

750 Paso
1980 Moto Morini 500 Sport
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

I geuss it could depend on how much "under " those disc's at Andy's are. I have never heard of anyone haveing their disc thickness checked at a wof test.I intend to use the calipurs off my 906 on my 850t guzzi ( when I locate another disc and spacer ) once I have used up my supply of ( much older than 4 years .... panic frett ...... not ! ) michelins. They are in near perfect cond :P :P , and I'll probly just chuck em out when I do the 17' conv :P :P , Nah , In all seriousness Chris I will make a note of your plight and if the discs become available in time to be useful to you you would be welcome to them but I wouldnt hold my breath as the guzzi is taking 1st place in the resurection stakes.
Hamish
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Thanks guys - great information. I went back to the guy who did the PPI on the bike and told him the $135 I gave him was a total waste, and telling me he checked the discs was an out-and-out lie. They were visibly bent with the front wheel turning - no dial gauge required.

I then went back to Dave the guy who sold it to me, and told him I was pretty unhappy with his recommendation of the PPI guy, and told him I was up for triple what I had originally budgeted to get the thing legal. He replied that he was unhappy that I was unhappy, and said he had a set of stainless discs sitting in his garage, and he sent them to me for nothing!

Now THAT was unexpected, and very delightful, let me tell you! My faith in humanity restored; Thanks Dave!

Here's the thing with the Metzler M3 Sportec 130/60/16 fitted and the new stainless discs installed. Front guard also lifted about 8mm.

How many escape pods are there? "None, Sir!" You counted them? "Twice, Sir!"
supak9
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Post by supak9 »

Hello, from reading this I see you've got you disc problems sorted but for future reference this is the contact details for Freddys Discs, who used to be somewhere else but are now in Hamilton.
He cut some for me, from memory $200 ea, so should have the sizes already on file to cut another pair.
Can't remember the guys name I was dealing with - sorry.

Freddysdiscs@hotmail.com
Collins Profile Cutting - 849 9040 and I think the cell is 021 616 295
1998 Ducati 916
1991 Ducati 907
and some other old oily stuff